Step 1: Recommended Items...
1. A multi-tool or a knife and screwdriver (+ or - or both).
2. Two small(1/4 inch to 1/2 inch) screws.
3. A long dowel or stick about the diameter of the pencil you are using. I recommend using a slightly larger diameter dowel/stick, that way you can enclose the pencil better making it more compact.
4. A pencil (obviously. Except I took this picture after I made it so there is a pen in the picture.
5. A small chunk of plastic from an easter bucket or something plastic, thin, and worthless. I used the bottom of an empty O-J jug.
6. Tape. Anything except scotch tape should work
7. A marker to decorate it ( optional ).
Step 2: Put the materials to work...
The contraption will be built in a series of three steps: fastening the pencil and preparing the hinge, making the handle, and making the hinge which completes the product.
First, gather your pencil, tape and plastic. Now place the pencil in between the plastic pieces and tape it there. It should look like this:
Step 3: The handles...
Step 4: The finishing touch...
If you want to decorate it, I decorated mine by taping both handles and coloring the tape with a sharpie. I also colored the plastic. If the screws stick out the other end you can cut them off with a dremel or clip them off with a with a wire clipper but I suggest covering them up with mechanical pencil erasers. That way it stays together better. Below is my finished one. I didn't think this would require a lock so I didn't make one (To tell the truth I wasn't exactly sure how to go about doing it either. if anyone makes a lock for it tell me how it works.) If you have any questions or comments or if I need to clear anything up leave a comment and I will get back to you soon.