I got the idea from this website, with lots of pretty pictures of the end result and just a few of the origami process. From their pictures I sort of got how it's made, and then I added some stitches in the folding process to make life easier. In this instructable, I'll show you how to make them yourself.
To make these butterfly hair clips, you'll need
- Fabric scraps in two colors. It's best to use some thin cotton fabric (non-stretch in any case!)
- Hair clips
Step 1: The rectangle
- small: rectangles of 6 x 9 cm (that's 2.36 x 3.54 inch)
- large: rectangles of 8 x 12 cm (that's 3.14 x 4.72 inch)
Next, sew the two rectangles together:
- Make sure the right sides of the fabric (the sides you'll want showing on the outside) are facing each other.
- Stitch along three of the four edges.
- Cut off the corners of the seams (see second image).
- Turn inside out.
- Fold the unfinished fourth edge in so no seams will show.
- Stitch along all four edges to obtain a nicely finished rectangle (see third image).
Step 2: Fold and stitch (part 1)
- Determine which fabric you'll want to show as the butterfly's wings (in my case this is the checkered fabric).
- Fold the rectangle in half with the butterfly's wings' fabric on the outside.
- Secure this with a couple of stitches from the middle of the fold down (see second image). Make sure not to stitch all the way down, because there you'll need the fabric to be able to move.