I got the idea from this website, with lots of pretty pictures of the end result and just a few of the origami process. From their pictures I sort of got how it's made, and then I added some stitches in the folding process to make life easier. In this instructable, I'll show you how to make them yourself.
To make these butterfly hair clips, you'll need
- Fabric scraps in two colors. It's best to use some thin cotton fabric (non-stretch in any case!)
- Hair clips
Step 1: The rectangle
- small: rectangles of 6 x 9 cm (that's 2.36 x 3.54 inch)
- large: rectangles of 8 x 12 cm (that's 3.14 x 4.72 inch)
Next, sew the two rectangles together:
- Make sure the right sides of the fabric (the sides you'll want showing on the outside) are facing each other.
- Stitch along three of the four edges.
- Cut off the corners of the seams (see second image).
- Turn inside out.
- Fold the unfinished fourth edge in so no seams will show.
- Stitch along all four edges to obtain a nicely finished rectangle (see third image).