What’s better than fluffy,and slightly crispy on the outside,with chocolate and pecans and the sinful addition of butterscotch sauce.
Step 1: Ingredients
For the butterscotch sauce:
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (1/4 cup or 2 oz)
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cookie dough:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter,melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar,packed
- 1 egg,at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
Step 2: Directions:
To make the sauce:
- Melt butter in a sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and stir to mix it into the butter.
- Then add the cream and bring the sauce to a boil.Keep the sauce at a light boil for 5 minutes, reducing the heat of the burner if needed. By a light boil I mean the sauce should be bubbling but you don’t want the bubbles to be stacking on top of each other, something that happens easily when cooking sugary sauces.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the salt and vanilla. Taste and add more of either if you want to pump up the flavor a bit more.
- Let the sauce cool to room temperature. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- When chilled, the sauce is pretty solid so warm it back up in saucepan on medium heat for a few minutes if you need it to be pourable.
To make the cookie dough and assembly:
- Preheat the oven at 350 F. Line parchment paper and grease a 8×8 inch pan.Set aside.
- In a medium bowl,whisk by hand melted and cooled butter,sugar,orange zest,vanilla extract and egg until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the dry ingredients and by using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon mix and incorporate mini chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
- In your baking pan,add the 2/3 of the cookie dough and spread it all over the pan. Don’t worry if the layer looks thin.
- Carefully,spread 2/3 of the butterscotch sauce,and live 1/2 and inch as a border around the cookie dough. Add dollops of the rest cookie dough. It will looks like isn’t covered but it will spread during baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool down first and then transfer it in a cooling rack.
- Cut it in 9 squares and pour some more sauce and pecans.