Introduction: Buttery Applesauce Cupcakes W/ Brown Sugar-Nutmeg Cream Cheese Frosting
Runner Up in the
Buttery Applesauce Cupcakes with Brown Sugar-Nutmeg Cream Cheese Frosting and an Apple Logo Decoration
While daydreaming about the cupcake contest I came up with this Apple logo cupcake! It was loads of fun to make and much easier than it looks.
Recipe follows and directions are in the steps:
For the cupcake:
1/2 c. butter (one stick)
1 c. applesauce
1 t. vanilla
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 t. nutmeg
For the frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
4 T. butter (half a stick)
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. freshly ground nutmeg
For the apple decoration:
6 pieces of colored taffy (green, yellow, orange, red, purple, and blue) per every six cupcakes.
Step 1: Making the Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line cupcake tin with papers.
Sift sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a large mixing bowl. Grating fresh nutmeg rather than using pre-ground gives a more intense flavor to the cupcakes.
In a medium bowl combine softened butter, egg, applesauce, and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
Spoon batter into cupcake tin 3/4 full and bake 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let cupcakes cool on a wire rack.
Step 2: Making the Frosting
While cupcakes are baking make the frosting.
Combine softened cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed. Add brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg.
Mix until light and fluffy. Taste, because you can't resist and set aside!
If you have small children I highly recommend letting them lick the beaters so they will be occupied while you make the apples!
Step 3: Making the Taffy Apples
You will need 6 colors of taffy (green, yellow, orange, red, purple, and blue), a rolling pin, waxed paper, a ruler, a pizza cutter, a sharp knife and an Apple logo pattern.
Laffy Taffy is a good option for the colors but any pliable taffy will work. It can be found in most bulk candy sections at the grocery store.
1. Place a piece of taffy between two pieces of waxed paper and flatten with a rolling pin until about 1/8 of an inch thick.
2. Repeat with remaining colors.
3. Cut an Apple logo pattern out of paper. You can easily print one from the internet in the size you want.
4. Using a pizza cutter cut flattened taffy into strips. You will need to get 6 strips from each color. You can eyeball it or use a ruler to get the correct width.
5. Lay strips of taffy together to get your rainbow. Gently press to get colors to stick together.
6. Lay your Apple pattern on top of striped taffy and cut around the pattern with a sharp knife. If the taffy is too soft (or sticking to your knife) you can refrigerate for a few minutes to make it easier to cut.
7. Using scraps from the green taffy - cut out the apple stems.
8. Assemble apples with stems and refrigerate 10 minutes before putting on cupcakes.
How fun was that?!
Step 4: Assembling the Cupcakes
Frost cooled cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Use enough to make the tops somewhat flat.
Place apples and stems on the frosting.
Eat and enjoy! YUM!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.