Headlight lenses have either a hard surface layer or UV resistant coating over the surface of the lens. Once a lens has been degraded by sun or UV light and becomes yellowed and cloudy, it is necessary to remove that yellowed layer in order to restore clarity to the lens. The effort required to refurbish headlight lenses will vary greatly by vehicle manufacturer, year, make, model, and headlight design. LARGE OR EXTREMELY HAZED LENSES MAY REQUIRE MORE THAN ONE SET OF SAND PAPER DISCS.
The equipment you need for this Headlight Solution is a 1200-1600 R.P.M (Revolutions per Minute) drill equipped with a Disc Holder pad, and sanding discs to remove the yellowed layer from the headlight lens surface. Two Sanding Steps will follow to refine, and reduce the sand scratches that are made when removing the moving yellowed layer. Finally, the Rubbing Compound and a foam Pad will remove the fine scratches and put the final clarity on the headlight lens.
1. 1200 – 1600 RPM Drill Machine
2. Headlight Lens Solution Kit (Available at any Car Parts Store, Walmart etc.)
3. Two Rag Cloths.
4. Water Spray Bottle.
5. Silicon Rubbing Car Polish (Available in Car Accessory Aisle at Walmart)
6 Soap Water.
1. Drill Machine - If you don’t own one, you can borrow it from a friend or loan it from Car parts store.
2. Headlight Lens solution Kit at Walmart, O’reilly, Advance Auto Parts - $17
3. Silicone Rubbing Compound - $3
4. Masking Tape - $2
5. All other items can be found in your kitchen cabinet
6. One hour of your precious time :-) .
TOTAL - $22
Minimum Cost of Replacing New Headlights - $ 200
What this means is that anyone can save hundreds of dollars by spending just one hour of their time working on their car. The end result is guaranteed to enhance the performance, and visual appeal of your car.
The difference is clearly visible in the first picture where the left headlight is damaged, and the right headlight is treated with this self application procedure.