Step 1: Tools and Materials
* Old CDs
* CD labels
* Packing tape
I used the following tools:
* Calipers (or other measuring device)
* Dremel (with high speed cutter, cutting wheel and grinding drum)
* De-burring tool
* Dust Collection System (Optional)
Step 2: Measure
I then measured the diameter of the center hole in the CD.
The difference in size is the amount of material you'll need to remove from the CD. In my case it was 47/100ths of an inch. I rounded up to half an inch.
Now an error crept in, in my measuring. I measured a half an inch from the edge of the hole in the center of the CD. I should have measured a quarter inch so I would end up with a total of a half inch of material to be removed. The consequence is I have a much bigger hole than I needed. (Unfortunately I didn't notice anything was amiss until I was putting it on the rod).
This measuring error happened to coincide with the transition from the clear plastic to the data area of the CD so I didn't bother to mark the outline. It was already done for me. When I make more of these (assuming Mrs. RadBear wants more) I'll need to mark the plastic so I'll know how much to remove.