Step 3: In the Making

After the design I went into solidcam and added all my pockets, profiles, and so on.
Which were all routed in 5 mm Plexiglas. I have the luck of having a dealer nearby which sells me some "leftovers" by weight instead of measurements.

The drainpipe was roughly cut to size, with the smaller diameter for the lower plate and the bigger diameter for the upper plate.
The larger diameter should be a tad longer than the other, this allows you to insert the air hose a bit into the pipe, with it hitting anything.

Next up was to cut the letterbox windstopper for the bristles.
I carefully inserted on end into the pocket and slowly bent and twisted it to fit.
Tight corners were not doable, so I opted to cut and make bristles for all for sides.

After you got all those separate parts made to fit it's time to fix them together.
First glue the upper plate and the drainpipe and use that as a guide to get the lower drainpipe in STRAIGHT.
If it isn't in straight the lower dust boot won't be able to move freely up or down. Which would defeat the purpose..so make sure it is.
For this I used hot glue. Since it allows to fill up small cracks and crevices.
Do not use superglue, I was told that superglue and plexiglas are not the best of buddies.

After the pipes have been attached, attach the bristle to the underside. I also used the hot glue here, for the same reasons.
<p>I made it and is work GREAT !!!</p><p>Thanks for you sharing...</p><p>Mathieu. (France)</p>
wow, I love your take on this. especially the different use of drainpipe!
superglue + plexiglass = gooey mess + poisonous fumes
That's what I said! =D
&gt;Air hoses outer diameter should be equal to the inner diameter of the large diameter drainpipe. <br />&gt; I sourced mine from a DIY store that sold them for use in garden ponds. They carried different sizes. <br /> <br />That's interesting, because, if it is the stuff I think it is (it isn't shown in any of your images), I tried to use it as a cheap(er) source of hose to circumvent the absolutely outrageous prices of real vacuum hose. and I found that it emitted a piercingly loud high pitched scream when air passed through it. You don't experience this?
I think that you have a ridge somewhere in the hose or maybe too small a diameter hose. <br />Get a larger diameter and you ought to be fine. <br /> <br />You're right on the.picture, totally forgot! <br />I will add one later today.
A long, long time ago.... <br>In a country far far away.... <br>I totally neglected to update this instructable with some action video.. <br> <br>Updating the instructable to include a video, as I type. <br>I will also add a picture of the hose in question, in reply to &quot;temper&quot;
Clever! <br /> <br />This inspires me to seek an easy way to keep my workshop clean when turning wood. Maybe a well located deflector will do the miracle...
I don't have any experience on a lathe, but when.I've got some time I will post my.ponderings!

About This Instructable




More by Pointy:A Mantable! (pronounced MAN TABLE!!!!) How to cut an onion Chopping a cucumber, pro style 
Add instructable to: