Step 1: Introduction
Step 2: Dough
Step 3: Stuffing Ingredients
2 lbs of hamburger
1 large head of cabbage
1/2 a large sweet yellow onion
Or onion flakes
Salt, pepper, garlic salt, Alpine Touch
(Alpine Touch is a seasoning I grew up with in Montana and you can purchase it on-line)
Step 4: Make the Stuffing
2. While the hamburger is browning, I finely slice the cabbage. I use very fine slices because I have found that most people who don't like cooked cabbage are turned of by the texture not the flavor. In the simmering process the cabbage will cook down to the point it is almost undetectable.
(I have also used bags of pre-sliced coleslaw cabbage from the produce section of the grocery store. Not as good, but again saved time!)
3 add the sliced cabbage to the seasoned browned hamburger and stir it through out.
Step 5: Simmer the Stuffing
I keep this simmering on a medium low flame. Stir occasionally to prevent the bottom from burning, while trying for a little caramelization.
The key to producing a cabbage burger that most people will enjoy is to really cook this mixture down. Add water if you notice scorching on the bottom of the pan.
Step 6: Prepare the Dough
2. Roll out dough to a on a floured surface. I roll the dough to about a one-eighth of inch thickness.
3. Cut approximately 3 inch by 3 inch squares.
Step 7: Prepare the Pan
2. When I use the stuffing to make actual cabbage burgers, I use a sheet pan to contain the liquids that escape during baking.
Step 8: Fill the Dough
2. Use a non-stick cooking spray to lightly cover the mini-muffin pan
3.Place one dough square over an opening in the muffin pan and lightly press down.
4. Put one spoonful of filling in the middle and draw the corners together and pinch the dough to connect.
5. To make buns, I cut the squares about 4 to 5 inches, pull the corners together and pinch the four seams together. The flip them over and place seams down on the cookie sheet.
Step 9: Embellish and Enjoy
You can also freeze them unbaked and in the mini-muffin pans for events that require large amounts.
I like to add decorative toothpicks to add to the occasion.