Introduction: Cake Cutter Made From Things Around the House
Christmas is coming! Cake and more cake. But what is a clean and safe way to cut you christmas treats. With the cake cutter it is clean and safe because the blade is fishing line! WOULD NOT recommend putting it in the dishwasher. If you try please write in the comments on what happened as I havn't tried. Hand wash is probably the best way. Bring out the cake and have a delicous memory that you won't forget!
Step 1: Acquire All Your Materials
Materials that you will need:
- A coat hanger - I used metal/wire as I had wire cutters handy. Could use plastic if you had the right tools.
- Fishing line - I used a 100% Nylon Copolymer.
- Super glue - Used to stop the wire slipping off.
Step 2: Acquire Your Tools
Now lets grab some tools.
You will need:
- A pair of scissors - to cut the fishing line.
- Wire cutters - to cut the coat hanger. If you are using a plastic coat hanger use a tool that can cut plastic eg. hacksaw.
- Ruler - optional but recommended.
- Sharpie - optional but recommended.
Step 3: Marking
From the bend of the coat hanger, measure 2 cm and mark it with the sharpie. Do it on both sides.
Step 4: Cut, Cut and Cut
As the title suggests this step is about cutting. With you cutting tool(wire cutters in my case) start to cut where the marks are. After a lot of effort you will have cut a long piece of wire out of the centre - thats where the fishing line will go. With pliers or even your fingers if you think you are strong enough, bend the ends where you cut making two small hooks - they will help stop the wire slipping off.
Step 5: Tying the Fishing Line
Cut a piece of fishing line and tie a blood knot to one hook and then to the other. Our fishing line kept pig tailing, as the old motto suggest; tie, tie, again. Make sure that this is tight tension or else it won't cut the cake as well.
Step 6: Gluing
Like in the picture dab blobs of super glue on the end of the hooks to stop the fishing line completely slipping off.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.