Step 1: What You Need
Cake pop maker
Microwave safe container (for melting the chocolate)
Measuring spoons ect.....
For this challenge we used a recipe for Chocolate Cake Pops, but any recipe will work, or even brownie mix would work just fine!
Ingredients for the Chocolate Cake Pops:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cut buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup freshly brewed hot coffee (or espresso for stronger flavor)
For making the actual Mice part of the Cakepops:
Hersey Kisses or similar candy
Cake pop sticks
Step 2: Making the Cake Balls
1. Combine flour, sugar, coca, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add buttermilk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla. Using a mixer, blend until smooth.
2. Add coffee and continue mixing until coffee is evenly incorporated into mixture.
3. Fill each cooking reservoir with about 1 tablespoon of batter.
4. Bake 4 to 5 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cake pop comes out clean.
5. Take out carefully
6. Allow to cool.
Tip: If you don't have buttermilk on hand, pour 3/4 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar into a glass measuring cup. Add milk to equal 1/4 cup. Allow to stand 5 to 10 minutes, then use in place of buttermilk in this recipe.
Step 3: Assembling the "Skeleton" Mice
1. Prepare your licorice tails. Cut licorice in half down the length then cut each part in half lengthwise again (essentially quarters). Trim into pieces approximately 1" to 1 1/2" long. This make's them nice an thin
2. Place approximately 1 cup of chocolate melting wafers into a glass measuring cup. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir. If needed replace in microwave and heat for 15 seconds. Stir.
3. Place cake pop on your sticks.
4. Unwrap Hersey Kiss and dip the flat bottom part in the melted chocolate. Place on the top of a cake pop opposite from the stick.
5. Use melted chocolate to adhere licorice to stick at the base of the cake pop.
6. Place in refrigerator for 15 minutes to harden the chocolate.
Step 4: Decorating!
1. After the mice have cooled, melt some more chocolate
2. Using a spoon scoop some chocolate up and gently drizzle the chocolate over, coating the entire mouse.
*Tip for Success!*: Make sure the melted chocolate isn't too hot, or else it will melt the Kiss and the chocolate holding it on!
3. While the chocolate coating is still soft, take two almond slices and gently put them on as ears! (just on the seam of the Kiss and the cakeball)
4. Let them cool and the chocolate coating harden
Step 5: Final Touches
Enjoy! These mice are easy and make a good kids-helper project!