loading
Last week I was on holiday in the Belgian Ardennes. Since we stayed at a very nice campsite which alowed campfires, I saw a lot of people using a bought tripod or improvise one made of branches. Our own barbecue did a good job but is showing some rusted holes in the bottom ( besides the ones I made on purpose as airvents). Back home we bought a nice casted iron bowl which we tend to use as a campfireplace and barbecue in the backgarden. So I took some steel and aluminum tubes I had laying around to make a tripod. I made it foldible so next time we camp we can take it with us easily. The second picture is at the camping. A tripod I made for using as a shelf to put my camping making projects on. It was the inspiration for this one. In the background you see the old barbecue.

Step 1: The Materials

I used:
  • six tubes between 60 cm and 80 cm long. I had some aluminum ones and steel ones. Since the tubes have different diameters and fit together I easily can take them apart for traveling. The aluminum ones have pop rivets in them which functions as notches on which the upper parts rests.
  • An old barbecue grill.
  • some hanging baskets of which I used the chains to hang the grill above the pit.
  • Aluminum tape to make the tubes fit snugly together.
  • A hacksaw for making the tubes to the same length.
  • A marker for marking the lengths.

Step 2: Putting the Tubes Together

The aluminum tubes already had holes in the top so I only had to make the holes in the steel one top tube. I just used a big pointy steel peg I had laying around, to lazy to find my drill ( It's still my vacation,you know). Through these holes the chains from the hanging baskets fitted so I fastened the tubes with a short piece of it.

Step 3: Making the The Tripod Standing Stable

Because the tubes fitted together did't had the same lenght I had to use my hacksaw to make them so. Just layed them side by side and marked the lenghts. Laying them on my workmate I sawed them.

Step 4: Making the Tubes Fitting Snugly

Because some of the tubes left a bit to much room for the other one sticking in I used aluminum tape to fill that space. I used this tape because off course it can become quite hot around the fire. For the biggest tube I first fitted one of the chopped of pieces over the smaller tube so that filled enough space.

Step 5: Ready to Grill!

Now i can hang the barbecue grill above my fire (or a little kettle for some coffee after diner, mjum, mjum!). For this I used the chains from the hanging baskets again, chained together long enough so I can adjust the height and even click it to an existing ring on one of the poles. 

(Excuse me if there are a lot of faults in my writing. I made this Ible completely on my iPad using the Instructable app. It's nice to work with when you work outside but it lacks quite some functionality and is actually an iPhone app. for instance I can't add notes to the pictures. It would be nice if Instructables could make an app specially for tablets with more functions. I tried using the browser on my iPad but that didn't worked quite well)
Just wanted to say congratulations on being a finalists in the Great Outdoors Contest! This was a fantastic instructable! Good luck!
Thank you, i'm glad you liked it!<br>
I just added you to my follow list. You have some nice Ibles, and we happen to be colleagues. I am an art teacher to.

About This Instructable

10,763views

180favorites

License:

Bio: I am an arts and crafts teacher in a secondary school in the Netherlands. (www.taborcollege.nl). I love making things. Especially out of nothing ... More »
More by Dave A:Recycle Upgrade of a Balcony Garden tabletop to big diner table with scaffolding frame. Wanda's all-weather birthday balcony bench-box (made from pallets) 
Add instructable to: