Remove Candle Wax With Hot Water





Introduction: Remove Candle Wax With Hot Water

I’ll show you the easiest way I know for removing candle wax so you can reuse the jar. Besides your candle, you’ll need a chopstick and some hot water. I’ve seen folks suggest a method using a freezer and a knife, and I’m here to tell you there’s a safer, easier way!

Step 1: Poke Some Holes

Use your chopstick to poke holes in the wax so the water can more easily get to the bottom of the jar.

Step 2: Pour Hot Water

Pour in your hot water. It should be just off the boil— if it’s not hot enough, it won’t get the job done. The water starts to melt the wax, which floats to the surface. Enjoy the show while it lasts, then let it cool down for a few hours.

Step 3: Dump After Cooling

Eventually all the wax pools on top and solidifies again as it cools down. Then you can just scoop it out and dump the wax. Use a strainer or paper towel to prevent chunks of wax from going down your sink.

Step 4: Clean Up and Enjoy!

If your jar has labels you want to remove, soak it in soapy water for an hour or more. The labels and any excess wax should come off with a sponge, otherwise you can rinse it with another blast of hot water.

Now you’ve got a new juice glass, or some craft supply storage. Let me know how you’d use your candle jar in the comments.



    • Science of Cooking

      Science of Cooking
    • Pocket-Sized Contest

      Pocket-Sized Contest
    • Paper Contest 2018

      Paper Contest 2018

    We have a be nice policy.
    Please be positive and constructive.




    WARNING: Don't ever let the hot wax go down your drain. I did, and had to have the plumber come An expensive and embarrassing mistake!!

    Gotta remember this one! Thanks.

    Love the GIFs! Thanks for sharing.

    I just use wax cleaner. Works Ann's smells awesome!

    I use candle wax like a charm Ann's smells great too

    why not just microwave it, pour out the wax then wash with hot, soapy water?

    I couldn't microwave my jar because the base of the wick is made from metal.

    ...uh maybe grab a pair of pliers and pull the metal out? Then microwave it and wash it with warm soapy water?

    first, the wax might overheat and catch fire. second, it will still leave a layer of wax in the jar.

    Don't throw the wax away - save your dryer lint in those tiny paper cups and drip the wax over it - perfect fire-starter.