With Hurricane Sandy leaving many people without electricity and heat, I figured that I would share this option for generating heat. Hopefully, this can benefit someone impacted by the hurricane, as well as yourself the next time you are stuck without heat.
Keep in mind that this will NOT heat your whole home, not even close. However, you'd be surprised at how it will heat up a closed room and will keep you from getting hypothermia. Essentially it takes the heat from the candle that would normally go straight up and radiates it out once the terra cotta begins to retain the heat.
My garage isn't heated and I used this today to provide heat while I was working on a project.
Step 1: Materials
- 3 different sized clay planting pots
- 1 large bolt (approx. 5")
- 6 washers
- 1 flat bracket
- 1 Candle in a jar (like a Yankee Candle)
- 1 Alarmed looking black cat (optional)
Step 2: Step 1
2. Turn pot upside down
3. Thread the bolt through the hole in the bottom of the pot
4. Turn right side up
Step 3: Step 2
2. Thread the bolt through the mediam sized pot
3. Secure with a washer and nut
Repeat this step again with the small pot
Note: be careful not to tighten too hard and break the pot (like I did)