Prepare to make these in advance, at least 24 hours before planning to give them away as they require time to harden.
1 packet (1/4 oz, or 2 tsp) unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup water
2 tsp light corn syrup
2 lbs powdered sugar, plus additional for dusting
Assorted flavoring extracts of your choice
Assorted food colors of your choice
Food coloring markers
Step 1: Make
2. Mix the gelatin mixture using an electric beater. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and mix until the sugar has mixed in completely.
3. Continue adding the sugar about a cup at a time until completely mixed. Make sure to mix a cup at a time or the dough may become too hard on the beaters to properly mix. The candy start off as a watered down liquid to a sticky dough.
4. Once you have mixed in the 2lbs of sugar, dust your work surface with the extra powdered sugar. The candy is sticky, so be sure to also dust your hands and the candy with extra sugar to remove it from the bowl. Knead the candy like bread dough, folding sugar into the dough to keep it from sticking. Keep kneading and fold until the candy is no longer sticky and is easier to handle.
5. Decide the colors and corresponding flavors of treats you will make and divide the candy into that many balls. To create the different colors and flavors, push a small well into the balls and pour a couple drops of color and flavoring into it. Knead each dough again until the colors are completely incorporated.
Step 2: Finish
7. Make at least 14 fortune cookies, one for each day of valentines day. I put a heart in the 14th treat, after all the most important gift after it all is the gift of your heart. Allow the candy to dry for at least 24 hours. After the 24 hours you can number the candy cookies or write "I love you's" on the treats.
8. Arrange the treats in a nice box, and Ta Da, you have a very unique, completely sincere treat for the one you love.