Introduction: How to Can Summer Squash
Saving squash for winter is a great choice too! Canning fresh food from the garden also saves money!
Spicy Pickled Summer Squash
Processing/Canning Time: 10 minutes
-canning tools (pot, spoons, etc)
-16oz cans (10)
-lids and bands
-6-8 summer squash
-2 cups sugar
-3 tsp canning salt
-3 cups white vinegar
-6 cups water
-1 large onion, chopped
-1 tsp turmeric (if you don't like turmeric you can use dry mustard in its place. )
-1tsp ground ginger
-1-2 tsp cayenne pepper *optional
* Great for Pasta salads, Tuna salad and so much more!
Step 1: Start By...
1. Pick and wash your squash.
2. Collect and clean, your canning tools, jars, lids and bands. (very important)
3. Add water to the canning pot. place on high. (This is also how you will process the jars later). I add my empty jars to warm up while I'm getting the squash ready.
4. Remove tops and ends of each squash. Cut squash in half, remove seeds and cube. Chop onion.
5. Place squash and onions in a glass bowl and set to the side.
Step 2: Cooking the Squash
1. Place all ingredients, expect for the squash & onions, into a large sauce pan..... place on high
2. Bring liquid to a boil, stir sugar until dissolved.
3. Add squash and onions.
4. Boil for 10 minutes, remove from heat.
5. Fill jars with squash..... leavening 1/4" space at top, place lid and bands on.
6. Place jars in canning pot (boiling water) and process for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Storage
1. Remove jars from boiling water bath.
2. Let jars sit undisturbed on counter until squash cools off.
3. Store, up to one year.
*Great for Salads, Pasta dishes, tuna salad and so much more!
*see my spicy squash relish also on instructables.
Follow us on Instagram and etsy.com @pinehillsfarm to see more!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.