This is an update to a previous Instructable which you may want to read to fully understand this one. It can be found here.
I decided to publish an update to my Bike Trailer Instructable as I have had the trailer nearly 8 months and, more importantly, it reached the 100th trip milestone the other day. A few modifications have been made but the biggest differences have been what it has carried over the past 8 months.
However, I will go over the modifications first:
- Appearance - Blue foam donation from Obam stairlifts meant the trailer had its own unique look and gave the load protection from the metal frame. (See picture(s) for more details).
- Noise - Previously, contact between the seat stem of the bike and the trailer's hitch would cause noise during transportation. To stop this from happening, I used a section of plastic tube with a snug fit over the securing bar of the hitch which meant the metal-on-metal sound was prevented. (See picture(s) for more details).
- Padding - I recently bought a new set of paddles and, unlike my previous pair, they are one-piece paddles instead of my old split pair. This meant they could not fit into the boat like my old pair and so I had to find a place for the new pair to sit on the trailer. Unfortunately, the only place they would fit was on a weld patch that was a bit uneven and sharp. So I used two rubber patches and some evo-stick to cover it up and stop the paddles from being damaged. (See picture(s) for more details).
- Light - The old light bracket fixed into the wooden spacer block on the rear upright. After adding the foam, the light was partially obstructed so I riveted it to the metal upright using stainless steel rivets making it more permanent and stronger.
- Drawbar - When the drawbar isn't attached to the bike, one of the bends touches the ground. Through general use it has started to show some signs of wear. This is not a major problem however as the drawbar is made from stainless steel and therefore the exposure of bare metal meant it still would not corrode/rust. However, it could eventually pose a structural concern and so I decided to fit a 'shoe' to act as a barrier to wear. (See picture(s) for more details).