This basically allows you to take pictures using this remote instead of pushing the button on the camera. The Canon-branded remote is around $25.
This remote uses common parts and requires little soldering. The best part is that the cable is easy to replace - just walk over to a dollar store and buy a longer cable! No soldering required for the extension!
The approximate cost for parts is less than $10!
Step 1: Gather the Materials
1) SPST Mini Momentary Pushbutton Switch (4pack from Radioshack), $3.79
2) 3.5mm Phone jack, $1.69 from Fry's
3) 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter, $1.99, Fry's
4) 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension cable, $2.50, Fry's
5) Icebreakers PACS mint container, $1.50, Target
6) Fresh breath from 5), $0, provided
7) soldering iron, solder wick, etc
8) 26 gauge wire or any wire
Step 2: Preparing the Case
1) Open the lid of the box.
2) Use a box cutter or thin blade to cut a rectangular opening in the mint case. The case itself is very soft plastic/rubber, so it is not difficult to cut through.
3) Open your scissors all the way. Stick one of the scissor blades into the rectangular hole.
4) Turn the blade clockwise or counter clockwise to slowly carve the rectangular hole into a circular hole.
Make two of these holes the size of the pushbutton switches on one end and a hole the size of the 3.5mm jack on the other end.
As you're carving out the holes, keep trying to thread the switches/jack through the hole. Once you're done, try tightening them onto the case with the nuts. Check the photos for an example.
Step 3: Assemble
Follow the diagram attached.
Basically, the color lines on the left side of the diagram would be wires. Solder them according to the diagram.
After you're done, put them in the case and tighten.
Step 4: Finishing Up
Put the lid back on. Attach the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter to the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. Plug the 2.5mm end into the camera, and other end of the 3.5mm plug into the mint case.
The advantage to this design is that the 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension cord can be upgraded to lengths/quality to your liking.
How it works:
Hold down the black button. The camera will focus. While holding the black button down, press down on the red button. The camera will take a photo!