This basically allows you to take pictures using this remote instead of pushing the button on the camera. The Canon-branded remote is around $25.
This remote uses common parts and requires little soldering. The best part is that the cable is easy to replace - just walk over to a dollar store and buy a longer cable! No soldering required for the extension!
The approximate cost for parts is less than $10!
Step 1: Gather the materials
1) SPST Mini Momentary Pushbutton Switch (4pack from Radioshack), $3.79
2) 3.5mm Phone jack, $1.69 from Fry's
3) 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter, $1.99, Fry's
4) 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension cable, $2.50, Fry's
5) Icebreakers PACS mint container, $1.50, Target
6) Fresh breath from 5), $0, provided
7) soldering iron, solder wick, etc
8) 26 gauge wire or any wire