Step 1: Ingredients!
* Cardboard- For this Instructable I used 3mm card left over from a previous project... REMEMBER to recycle
* Knife/ Scissors
* Glue- I use a glue gun, as i think for construction its alot better as it has a very fast drying time, but regular PVA glue or superglue will work just as well, you just need to factor in how long your glue will take to dry etc.
* Time: 1 hour
* Round object to draw arround to make handle ( I used a mug) OR pair of compasses
Step 2: Cut 'em Up!
My sides measure:
15cm (6") wide
30 cm (12") tall (from base to point)
For the triangle top peice, i measured down 10cm's (<4") and drew a line, then matched up the ends to form this very fetching triangle shape!
In order to get the 'roof' of your lantern to bend inwards, i advise scoring along the bottom edge of the triangle (on what you deem to be the interior side of the cardboard you are using, if you score on what will be the outer face, you will be left with an unsightly seam) as this will aid you when you come to glue this all together.
Step 3: Construction!
It seems like all I do at the moment is glue cardboard together... BUT oh well when needs must... PLEASE REMEMBER that if you are using a hotmelt glue gun, to think about your gluing order, as you may make it difficult to stick certain things on etc.
I chose to glue the long straight edge (glue to corner of the triangle) first to its corresponding side piece, then glue the 'roof' bit ( bottom corner of triangle to point) and continue until you get the shape you need (like inthe picture)
I chose not to include any interior supports in this Instructable, as this prop will not be kicked around on stage... If it is kicked around... anticipate an Instructable on how to a hide a body
Step 4: All Your BASE... Are Belongs to Us!
Just glue in place
Step 5: Huzzar for Handles!
1. Draw arround a round object or use a pair of compasses to get your circle shape and cut out
2. Draw arround a smaller circle shape or use your compasses
3. Cut out and discard middle
4, Lay your doghnut shape onto the 'roof' of your lantern and mark the roof's edges
5. Cut out and discard the section marked in step 4
6. Glue in place
Step 6: The END Is Nigh!
I first drew a square 2cm's away from the edge inside the 'face'
the Rectangles sides are 10cm's (<4")
I marked the mid point of the square, 2cm's (<1") down from the crease where we scored the bottom edge of the roof in stage 2
I then used a large round object (like a lid or a cd) and matched up the corner ofthe square to the midpoint mark. You SHOULD get something similar to what i have done in my picture...
Now just paint till your happy
Step 7: The END Cometh!
I hope you enjoyed another exciting Cardboard Prop!