Design and construct a marine-themed costume constructed entirely from recycled cardboard and put together solely using slotted construction for use by a middle school student.
As my group's theme was marine invertebrates, I chose a starfish.
-Made out of single, double, or tri-wall cardboard
-only recycled materials
Step 1: Supplies, Tools, and Parts
(S1): Sheet of single-ply cardboard, 3' x 4', 2.
(S2): Sheet of single-ply cardboard, 2' x 2', 2.
(T1): CUTTING MAT
(T2): UTILITY KNIFE
(P1): STAR FACE
Step 2: P1: Star Face
2. Use utility knife (T2) and cutting mat (T1) to cut slits into the face continuing from the 1' 4" sides.
3. Using utility knife (T2) and cutting mat (T1) cut off the arm above these two sides to allow room for the head, but leave enough cardboard to hold up the costume.
Step 3: Part 2: Arm
2. Cut slits 1 1/2" from each side on the 1' side with cutting mat (T1) and utility knife (T2).
Step 4: Assembling the Final Costume
2. Attach the other star face (P1) to the arm piece (P2) at the slit.
3. The star face with the head partially cut off is the front, and the other side is the back.
4. Optional: painting the costume may prevent the cardboard from warping.