I prefer bars to individual cookies because they take so much less time to make. This is based on my mom's snickerdoodle cookie recipe, which I've baked over and over making variations each time to get them to be as good or better than her classic cookies!
Step 1: Ingredients and Equipment
- 1 large or two small apples, peeled cored and diced (and tossed in lemon juice if you're moving slowly)
- 1 cups softened margarine OR 1 cup butter flavored Crisco + 6 tablespoons water*
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar or Splenda**
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup of carmel bits or cut up carmels
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
*Use margarine if you want a cookie-like texture, use Crisco if you want something more like cake.
**Replacing some or all of the sugar with Splenda will result in a drier, more biscotti-like texture.
- Standard kitchen gear (bowls, spoons, knives, etc)
- Parchment/baking paper
- A baking sheet that's about 11 x 16 or so.
- A healthy sense of how not to hurt yourself on sharp and hot things while cooking.