Carrot Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (yield 12 cupcakes)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour/whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 heaping cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup finely shredded carrots (about 2 medium ones)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp finely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 3 oz reduced fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1/2 heaping cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest (or more, if you want it more lemony, like I did)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
Sift together the first 6 ingredients.
In a large bowl, whisk the oil, brown sugar, and eggs until well combined. Whisk in the applesauce, vanilla, and carrots.
Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Stir in 1/4 cup of pecans and 1/3 cup raisins and mix again.
Divide the batter between the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
With an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, confectioners sugar and lemon zest until smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining 2 Tbsp chopped nuts. The cupcakes should be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.