Step 1: Cutting the First Egg
- Choose the position of your eyes. mine are vertical
- Imagine a plane that intersect the egg close to the other one.
- Cut along this plane with your Dremel
Be careful when cutting, you don't risk much, but your egg do.
You have to erode the shell, but not to cut the small skin under it.
Otherwise it gives freedom to the white to leak, and as the rotating tool is just over, it'll splash everywhere.
When cut enough, lay your egg on a stand made of rolled Blu-tac.
Otherwise, the egg will roll and spill everywhere.
Step 2: Emptying the Egg
- The skin will hold both parts of the shell together.
To remove the small part use a fine tip (screwdriver) and lift it.
Do not pry, you would jeopardise the main part.
If the yellow is hard to come out of the shell, it's because no air is going in the shell to take it's place.
You can help by blowing between yellow and shell or by inserting a stick.
- Wash and dry inside the eggshell.
- Eat the egg after!
Step 3: Rectify the Opening
Rectifying the opening is important to be able to glue both shells.
Take your Sand paper and lay it on a very plane surface.
If there is any accident, it'll break the shell
Sand the edges smoothly by making big circles.
Don't press too hard, it'll break, but make large moves.
- You know it's done when the edges are plane and even.
Step 4: The Second Cut
The second cut is the same as the first one with only one difference.
- You don't choose the plane to cut, it's imposed by the first one.
- Match the first egg on the second one and mark it's footprint with a pencil.
- Then cut a little bit smaller to compensate the pencil's thickness. (always prefer smaller, you can enlarge after if too small)
Step 5: Stick Eggshells Together
stick them together with Superglue.
Be smart, you only have one try. It sticks quite well!
Step 6: Decorate
Here you have full liberty!
Take your permanent marker and draw!
Step 7: Attach a Wire
It's interesting to hang these eyes because they hardly stand right on a table (and so we don't see these are eyes.)
- Take a thread
- Put a blob of Super-glue on it
- Insert the blob between the two eggs at the top.
- Cut the excess of wire (I tried and failed to burn it).
Step 8: Gallery
You have made marvellous CARTOON EYES !
Don't forget you have two sides!!