(Warning: several cute cat photos follow)
- 1 inch thick foam padding (you'll need enough for six equal sized squares)
- medium gray cotton or similar fabric. (how much will depend on how big your foam squares are. You will need enough for twelve squares an inch bigger than your foam squares.)
- light gray cotton or similar fabric. (This will make the circles on the five sides of the cube)
- pink cotton or similar fabric (This will make the hearts, you can also use it on the opposite side of the door hole if you want)
- pink ribbon
- gray and pink thread
- sewing pins
- pattern making material or poster board
- sewing machine
Step 1: Cutting Out Your Squares
You first need to cut out six squares of foam padding. I repurposed 14 x 14 squares that made a nice sized cube.
Once you have your six foam squares, you can start cutting out fabric squares out of the medium gray fabric. You will need twelve squares an inch bigger than your padding squares, so I cut out twelve 15 x 15 squares.
For the heart and circles on the sides of the cube, make patterns out of poster board or pattern making material and then cut out 5 of each (or four if you don't care about putting one on the bottom of the cube).
Step 2: Doorway
Use the foam square to mark and cut out circles in two of the fabric squares.
Pin the two fabric squares together and sew around the diameter of the circle.
Turn right side out and fit around the door hole. Pin the edges around the fabric square.
Step 3: Decorating the Cube
Next, pin the circles and hearts over the ribbon. Change your sewing machine stitch to the applique or zig zag stitch and sew down. I did the hearts first so I didn't have to change thread after sewing the ribbon down.
Once you are through with applique on all the squares, pin your decorated fabric square around your foam square with one of the blank fabric squares on the opposite side.
Step 4: Compiling the Cube
Once all the sides are sewn together, carefully pull the cube right side out through the door hole.
Step 5: Testing Time!
Don't be surprised if all your cats want to hang out with their new companion.