Introduction: Cedar Doormat
This is a doormat that I made from cedar 2" X 2"s and manilla rope. I sanded the wood smooth, used deck stain and roped it together. The wood and rope are cheap but the sanding is dusty. This is a Very easy project.
Step 1: Sand Your Cedar 2"X2"'s
- As you can see by the photo I do not use very expensive woodworking equipment. I converted my $30 Harbor Freight belt sander into a stationary sandery by clamping it to one of my cheap sawhorses with a piece of wood screwed to it. This has worked for over five years with this sander alone.
- *When sanding always wear eye, ear and dust protection. The piece in the middle is unsanded the way I purchased it from Lowes. The sanding belt was 80 grit. If I do another I'll use 40 grit to get the job done quicker.
- This is not a piece of furniture for inside your house so it does not have to be glass smooth.
Step 2: Cut the Ends the Same Length.
The width I picked was as wide as my threshold. Even up one end then use a square and draw a line to cut the pieces the same length.
Step 3: Drill the Holes for the Rope
- Mark the holes in the same spot in each piece.
- Drill a pilot hole to ensure the hole is straight.
- Drill the final diameter.
Step 4: Stain the Wood With Deck Stain.
I used the Behr stain shown in the photo since it comes in quart cans at the nearby Home Depot.
- The Behr stain is very user friendly with water clean up.
- Because it is water based it requires multiple coats of the stain.
- If you apply multiple coats you'll be very happy with the results.
- Other brands and types of deck stains may give different results.
Step 5: Rope and Knot It Together
Use 1/4" Manilla rope to tie it all together.
- Tie a knot in the end of each of two pieces of rope cut about 6' long.
- Pull the rope through, tie a knot as close to the wood as possible for both pieces of rope.
- Repeat for each piece of wood.
Step 6: The Final Result
Since I used four coats of deck stain I have noticed that water beads up very well. Almost like a waxed car. This should help the finish last a long time.