Looking to maximize the space of your apartment?
A platform bed is an ideal way to gain storage and create a comfortable space.
Create a custom platform bed following the building basics show here for any room! This project can be completed over the weekend using tools and materials that costs less then most bed frames.
Questions & Comments are always welcome,
Step 1: Tools and Materials
Here are the suggested tools and materials for building your platform bed.
- Four foot level
- Pry Bar
- Circular Saw & Handsaw
- Drill & Drill Bits
- Screw Drivers
- Tape Measure
- Extension Cord
- Carpenter's Square
- Paint Brush (not shown)
- Safety: Goggles/Ear Protection
- 3" Screws and/or Nails (see note below)
- 1-1/4" Drywall Screws
- Cedar boards (bought from Habitat Restore)
- Plywood or OSB
- Paint (optional)
- Electrical (optional) - see electrical step
Quantity: For this project I used (10) 2x4s, (3) 2x6s, (3) 2x2s, (2) 4x8 3/8" OSB, (1) box drywall screws, (1) box 3" wood screws, (1) gal paint.
Cost: All materials cost around $80 from HD/Lowes/Habitat. All tools cost under $120 and were purchased refurbished online or used off craigslist.
Fasteners: I recommend using all screws for the project. In the past I used primarily nails but always required a few screws. Depending on the boards used for the siding you may need to pre-drill and use smaller screws.
Step 2: Frame the Platform
The photos show a mix of two steps: Framing & Securing
Determine the size f the platform based on the space available and requirements of your mattress.
- I used 60"x80" for a queen mattress. Notice the corner is has a bump out where the building framed around plumbing risers.... to fit the irregular space I am adding the length of the bump out to the top piece of the frame (notice how it extends past the last 2x4)
Cut the long pieces to length allowing for the width of the two end pieces. The long pieces are 3" less then the overall length if you are working with 2x4s (dimensioned lumber) Secure each 2x4 connection with (2) screws.
- (4) 2x4s cut to 77"
- (2) 2x4s cut to 60" & 60" + bump out