Step 1: Tear Down and Assess
I removed the stem and made a new one out of a piece of plywood. I glued the new one in with epoxy.
I left the cedar planks in place and only removed them as needed to install the cedar strips. The old planks helped keep the shape intact as the new skin went on.
Step 2: Stripping
I peeled off enough of the cedar planks to accommodate the first few rows and sanded the ribs smooth. I used plain white wood glue and bar clamps. The whole process took about three months. Most of that was spent waiting for glue to dry. In a very few where the strips had significant twisting I needed screws to hold them in place. That left some small holes that were later filled in with wood putty.
If I had access to a heated workspace I'm sure it would have been much quicker. Towards the end (in December, in Canada) the cold temperatures meant leaving the strip clamped for several hours to dry. It was long, and painstaking and by the end my jokes about going "stripping" out in the carport were pretty stale. I didn't bother trying to get fancy and match the tones of the seperate strips as they were laying in a pile on my living room floor. I just grabbed whatever was next. On nice days I let each one dry for about 45 minutes. I hope you appreciate the photos of the rows of clamps as much as I do. :)
Step 3: Closing the Gap
I duct taped all along the inside seem and filled from the outside. I used making tape and newspaper all over the outside to protect from spills etc. before applying the putty I painted a fine layer of liquid epoxy. The liquid epoxy penetrates the wood slightly and provides a chemical bond between the putty and the wood.
After all this cured I sanded the entire hull smooth and shaped the bow and stern into a nice shape. I used a rasp and file for the really tough bits and finished with 400 grit sandpaper.
There were some gaps here and there between strips but nothing of any structural concern. I went over the whole thing filling in gaps and screw holes with wood putty. I then hand sanded again with 400 grit sandpaper.
I'm sure purists of cedar strip canoes get nauseous over this approach and I wanted to hide my shame so I decided to paint a strip over the clumsy weaving line where the two halves of the boat met. I ran a string line from end to end and at its furthest from centre the epoxy putty deviated by two cm. I marked out 2cm from the string along both sides and masked off the rest of the boat. I painted a green line and in the end I think it looks quite sharp.
Step 4: Glassing/sealing
Step 5: Sealing the Inside
I sanded the ribs down, doing my best to get them all without damaging the cedar. My big concern over time is that there's no fibreglass protecting the cedar on the inside. The ribs are ash and can take a fair beating but cedar is pretty soft. I'm sure time will catch up and make me look like a fool eventually but for now the cedar and the ribs look quite nice together. After sanding all the ribs on the bottom half (5 hours!) I painted on a nice thick coat of epoxy. I then flipped it around, cried a little, spent another 5 hours with my head tucked into a boat with a power sander and epoxied the other half.
Step 6: New Seats
Step 7: Gunwales and Decks
I did another cedar inlay on both decks, also attached with epoxy.
I filled in all the gaps and points with epoxy putty and shaped it all by hand with a rasp and file av's sanding blocks.
I gave it some detail with the same green paint and sealed it all with epoxy and two coats of spar varnish.
Step 8: Conclusion
I doubt I'll ever build another cedar stripper, or even another canoe, but I will make more boats, more mini bikes, and all manner of things in between. Thanks for reading. Take it easy :)