Most surround speakers are small, tinny devices. And over-priced. Sure, you can buy great speakers but hey , it's your money. My route is to re-purpose these for surround sound, aimed forward, not down, fill the room with sound.
Step 1: Build the Boxes
My first plan was to build a six sided box. Fully enclosing the speaker. But this ended up being a huge 16x13 box, way to big to mount on a wall or put on a shelf. This led to the idea of a Hungarian slot shelf type thing. The speakers are kind of angled into the corner at 45* and I only have to cover up the speaker to mate it to the wall.
First build a box. I used 3/4 inch MDF. Screwed together and with wood glue too. Next , I found some Honduran Mahogany veneer sheets. I used contact cement brushed on the MDF and the veneer. Wait 20 minutes then press them together.
Step 2: More MDF
I just used 2.5 inch screws with pilot holes and glue, the box is tight.
Step 3: Veneering the Boxes
Step 4: Staining and Mounting
The sound is an improvement over the BIC speakers, much more noticeable surround sound details and great 7 channel audio for music.
As a note about the EV C8.2 speakers, I bought 4 off of Ebay, it appears EV has been making these type for some time, as there were different versions . All 4 were labeled slightly different. The ones here in the living room are the newest version. The earlier speakers had 70watt to 300 peak watt handleing ratings, the new version was rated at 100 to 400 watts peak.
Anyway , I thought I would post this Instructable to show a inexpensive way to improve a mutt surround sound system.
Step 5: Two More for the Patio..
Step 6: Update to Speaker Boxes
So it was time to re-hab the boxes. I ended up totally redoing one box and partially redoing another. I used 3/4" finished plywood to rebuild the boxes. I just re-cut the panels and made biscuit joints with glue , then screwed the panels in for extra a measure of strength. Then resanded, primed and painted. As you can see , I went with a Thing 1/2 theme due to having extra red paint from a plyobox project I did.