The dimensions used here perfectly fit a 13" MacBook, but the proportions can be adjusted for other laptops, or to make other bag sizes. To make sure that the laptop will fit, you'll need to be sure to keep your seams as narrow as possible, or add a little bit to all of the pieces to allow for extra room.
This idea was inspired by the bags seen here: http://www.escamastudio.com
You can also make a really really cool bag out of 35mm film - click here to find out how!
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- Sewing needles and straight pins
- Thread (white and black are both used here)
- An iron (optional)
- Fabric for constructing the bag (black cotton in a medium/heavy weight is used here)
- Fabric for the lining of the bag (a blue and silver silk print is used here)
- A cotton woven-type belt (34" black belt is used here)
- Soda can tabs (a lot of them - so many that you would think you have too many. Just over 1,000 are used here)
- If using as a laptop bag, either some .5-1" foam sheet or a laptop sleeve (depending on your preference. For foam, cut pieces the same size as all of the fabric pieces as described in the next step