Introduction: Chainchomp Purse
OK so I don't have to explain my love of Mario to anyone I assume. The Mario video games are fun and have awesome aesthetics, you know I feel that way if you've seen others of my instructables. If you haven't read any of my other instructables, well then are you really surprised that an individuals likes the mario video games?
For those that don't know I participated in Desert Bus's Craft-a-long this year. Desert Bus is a charity event run the by the Loading Ready Run folks who play a truly awful game called Desert Bus for money to give to various charities. A while back they opened their gates to crafters who wanted to send in items to be auctioned off. I made a Chainchomp purse that was auctioned off for a nice chunk of change to the cause.
Now that it's been auctioned off I have no problem showing how I made it. Although as a warning, this is one of the more difficult projects I have created, so have patience and plenty of time on hand.
Step 1: Gather Materials!
1. .5 yards of Black Marine Vinyl
2. .25 yards of White Marine Vinyl, I like marine vinyl because it is water proof and very sturdy
3. .5 yards of strong Polyester
4. Heavy Duty Sewing Machine Needles, anything that says Denim, Heavy Duty, or Leather will work.
5. Sewing Machine with matching black Thread
6. Universal Sewing Machine Needle
7. 40 inches of Chain, I actually found mine in the jewelry department of Joann
8. Patterns, Next step and some notes!
9. 6 inch black zipper
10. a Sewing Needle
11. Wash Away Wonder Tape. You can not use pins on vinyl or leather because it compromising the structural integrity, so you have to use Wonder Tape instead.
12. Pins, FOR THE POLYESTER ONLY!
Step 2: PATTERNS
Above are our patterns, as you can see I took a picture of chainchomp and just kind of played with it. The face is cut in half on the two sheets.
I made a face only on one side of my purse, but if you like you can do both sides, it's just more work. The seam allowances are 5/8 of inch. Except for the purse body ends which are 1/4 of a inch.
There is also a purse strap in case you wanted the purse to hang down longer. The only difference from what I do in the video is that you don't connect the two ends of the chain and you make two more purse loops. Then just thread the purse loops through the chain and tuck the ends inside purse strap along with the purse strap's raw edges. Then run a top stitch all around the outside of the purse strap.
Step 3: Watch the Video
Admittedly now, and one other person out there, have a very cool geeky purse. Although I think similar to the Batgirl Utility Belt I made, I don't think I feel like sewing for a while.
I do get to claim that I made a vegan Chainchomp, which feels weirdly awesome to say...
If you make your own please share it with me! I'd be super excited if someone took on the beast! The first 10 people to create and post it in the comments will get 3 months of PRO membership! 10/10 PRO membership are still available!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.