Introduction: Chainmaille Projects: Let There Be Dragons
In this instructable I'm going to be covering a sculpture of a dragon..:P my favorite critter of all time.
THIS IS NOT A BEGINNER TUTORIAL! but don't let that stop you! in the words of Yoda "Do or do not, there is no try."
You will need to know a couple of basic weaves to complete this instructable:
Full Persian 6 in 1 and how to weave it with solid rings.
3/4th Persian 6 in 1 and,
Ring sizes you will need:
1.6mm 8mm ID Rubber rings
1.6mm 8mm ID rings
1.6mm 6mm ID rings
1mm 5.5mm ID rings
1.16mm 4.5mm ID rings
1.6mm 10.5mm ID rings
0.8mm 2mm ID rings (optional)
You will also need around 15 small scales from TRL (www.theringlord.com)
some colored paper or plastic the color you like for the wings, i chose the same color as the rubber rings i was using. Lastly you need about 2ft of wire and some clear tape to do the wings.
Critical things you need to have and know before starting.
One: Tools, You will need pliers to open and close rings
Two: The Color Key, this key is used through this instructable
Red: The ring(s) to weave through.
Blue: The inactive or finished parts of a weave.
Green: the active or un-closed ring you are weaving into the mesh/chain
Yellow: Orbital captive or pre closed ring.
Purple: Rubber or flexable ring. Also used for scales just because..lol
Okay now that, that is out of the way we can get started on the good stuff.
Step 1: Walking Dragon With Wings: Body Build
1: Using the 1.6mm 5/16 rubber and metal rings, make a section of fp6in1 17 units long with two extra rubber rings off on end.
2: Next using the 4 1.6mm 6mm rings add the first reduction unit for the tail on the side with out the extra rubber rings..
3. Now with the 1mm 5.5mm rings add another unit to reduse this section to the tail size.
4: Continue this untill the thin taiil section is 3-4cm long.
5: Attach the tail scale with the two outer rings in the persian pattern.
6. Finish up the Persian unit pinching the scale between the middle two rings.
7: From the reduction ring count up 7 units and weave in two large 1.6mm 10.5mm rings as shown in image 6, it will be tight in there but don't worry about it. the rubber rings will give way and make room. repeat the ring on the opposing side. this makes the rear leg joint or hips.
8: Next add 1.6mm 10.5mm rings as shown in image 7 3 units up from the hips, this forms the sholders and bends out the chest. again just let the rubber rings bend a bit.
Step 2: Walking Dragon With Wings: the Head
1.Add a 6mm 1.6mm ring to the top rubber ring.
2. Weave in the 1.6mm 8mm ring as shown with the scales. face the scales curved side out.
3. weave a few more 1.6mm 8mm to form a persain unit. be sure to snag the rubber rings.
4. use 1.6mm 6mm rings to add another fp unit.
5. using 1mm 5.5mm rings make another persian unit with a missing horizantal ring.
6. You work should look like this now.
Step 3: Walking Dragon With Wings: Shoulders
1. Usinge 2 1.6mm 10.5mm rings, press them inbetween the sholder rings. they should stay there.
2. using 1.6mm 6mm rings pop two onto one side of the floating rings.
3. add two more 1.6mm 6mm rings and fold them back.
4. Again adding two more rings for the Byz unit.
5. Ad one 1.6mm 6mm ring this ring will float untill you add the wings.
6. repeat the prosses on the other side. this will tighten it up and lock in the 10.5mm rings.
Step 4: Walking Dragon With Wings: Back Legs
1. these three rings are used to hold the wing wire in place and to use help suport the curve in the neck. use 1.6mm 5.5mm
2. Next, down on the hips add two 1.6mm 6mm rings the the hip ring and the fp6in1 core only at the botom.
3.Add in a section on 3/4 HP three units long to the previose two rings.
4. next using 1.6mm 6mm rings make a single unit of BYZ
5. compleat the byz unit with two more 1.6mm 5.5mm rings.
6. add two 1.6mm 6mm rings to the frunt on the foot and one 1.6mm 5.5mm ring to the back of the foot.
1. push the and fold over one of the 1.6mm 8mm rubber rings.
2. lock the rubber ring in place with a 1.6mm 8mm ring.
3. repeat 1 and 2 on the frunt larger ring 2-3 time to form the frunt claws/toes.
4. Repeat the leg building on the other side of the dragon but mirrored to form the other leg.
Step 5: Walking Dragon With Wings: the Wings
Done with Chainmaille side of this dragon. GJ!
See attachments for Wing bending guide and paper cut template.
Once you have bent you wings insert them in this path. the rings connected to the head can be used to lock in the wings oriantation. simple but a minor bend in the wire to pull it into place.
To attach the papper to the wings sew then with a thin needle and thread use a stich about one every 3-4mm.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.