They left it to me, supposedly the artistic one to turn a baseball player into a pirate.
Below is how it started. Not piratey at all!
Step 1: Changing the Hat
First, I cut off the bill.
Then, I painted it black. I used regular tempura paint, and the biggest brushes I had lying around the house.
I also put tape around the base of the hat, trying to prevent paint from getting on his skin. It kind of worked, but when I took off the tape, I also took off some of his hair. Over all, I recommend just being careful instead of putting on masking tape.
Step 2: More on the Hat
Step 3: The Final Pinata
I made a pirate eye-patch out of ribbon and thread. The part over the eye is two large pieces of ribbon messily sewn together, and the long strip of ribbon was sewn to that, and then glued on his head.
The vest was made by my mom.
The vest was made out of a plastic, disposable tablecloth. It didn't turn out exactly like she wanted it too, but it does a good enough job.
The hook hand (which was made by my dad) was made out of aluminum foil and duct tape. He first formed the hook with a base attached, and then taped it onto the hand with the silver ductape. Looks good enough!