Step 1: What you're gonna need
All of the items on this list can be baught at joann fabrics but hobby lobby is also an option.
And don't forget to use the coupons. If you go to joanns you can use competitor coupons and get them on your phone making this project about $4 to do. Hobby lobby will not take competitor coupons though.
1. 3.99 1 peice of craft basswood 1/16" x 3" x 24" OR you can use one bag of large popsicle sticks LARGE(NOT REGULAR SIZED)
you can buy the both of these at joann fabrics but the peice of wood is easier
2. 2.99 1 peice of 1/4" x 1" x 4 ft
I'm not 100% on the 4 ft, you will only be needing about 2 ft nevertheless
3. free if you already have it: wood glue or hot glue (wood glue is better but there is no problem using hot glue)
4. free if you already have it: black paint or coffee or tea (to be used for staining)
I will be showing the paint method
5. free if you already have: xacto knife or box cutter
6. free if you already have: paper plate or some other place to mix paint and water
7. free if you already have: sand paper (any)
Step 2: Cutting
For one pallet you will need:
10 peices of the thinner wood at 9/32" x 3 3/4"
and 3 peices of the thicker wood that are 1/4" x 3 7/8"