I was made from boards salvaged from an old water bed (2x12, I think), 1/2" pine strips, and a 10" handscrew clamp from Harbor Freight (< $10).
The most important detail about this build is how to setup the clamp:
- The lower handscrew of the clamp was not needed, so was removed along with it's nuts.
- The upper nuts, which typically pivot, were epoxied in place to keep them steady.
- The outer jaw was fastened to the frame with glue and a lagbolt through the hole where a nut was removed from.
- The inner jaw was left to move freely.
- The rear frame was cut, and the clamp was positioned, so the handscrew would not touch the rifle stock.