What is Hydroponics?
Simply put, it is a way to grow plants using a mineral nutrient solution in water, without soil. While more complicated options may seem overwhelming, this system offers an easy-to-understand method that will inspire you to get started.
Without further ado, here's a cheap and easy way to begin your first window sill hydroponics garden!
Step 1: Materials
- 11"'x19" x3"-4" plastic tray (we used a kitty litter bin) or aluminum roasting pan
- 2 1/2' to 3' of 3/8" I.D. vinyl tubing
- plumbing sealant
- ~2"x4"piece of galvanized or fiberglass screen
- Perlite, gravel or sand- only inert growth media
- clamp or clothespin
- 1 gallon pitcher
- your choice of plant food solution
OPTIONAL: seedling starter tray or discs