With prices going astronomical at the theater and a bucket of popcorn and soda will cost more than a tank of gas, home entertainment is the last resort.
Similar in nature to taking an old soccer ball and naming it Wilson or something, making your own sock-muppet will give hours of enjoyment seeking refuge from the dread of the slow economy.
When you drop your cable TV service and ultimately high speed access to the internet, your best bet is to hunker down with the family and do what they did in the good old days. Converse and entertain each other in the parlor.
Rock and roll. The kids are alright...
Step 1: Get a pair...
- A holey or non-holey pair of socks. (preferably clean ones, long style like crew or tube socks)
- A bit of fabric, different colors of felt
- Minimal sewing skills with needle and thread
Can't sew? Try this how to sew instructable. I did this by hand because the utility company will cut your power if you get behind in paying your bills because of the recession.
- Optional: Two pencils or pieces of stiff wire like from a metal clothes hanger if you plan on making hands and arms.
- Scraps of cloth or polyester fiberfill for the stuffing
- Magic marker for drawing on details.
- A bit of cardboard for add-on details.
So take a run-down sock and turn it into a polished actor.