Step 1: Sauteing the Veggies
3 celery ribs
1 medium onion
1/4 cup plus 3 TB flour
8 ounces extra sharp cheddar
4 ounces monterey jack cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
5 cups stock (chicken or veggie)
12 oz beer (hefeweizen or blonde style)
salt and pepper to taste
green onion (optional for garnish)
large soup pot
immersion blender (if you prefer smooth soup)
1. Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium low heat.
2. Chop up the celery and onion and add to the butter. If you aren't blending your soup, you will probably want to chop the veggies finer than I did in the photo.
3. Cook the mixture over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
Step 2: To Blend or Not to Blend?
2. Slowly add the flour to the veggie mixture and stir until there are no lumps. Cook for at least 5 minutes.
3. While the flour/veggie base is cooking, heat up your stock and beer in another pot.