Introduction: Christmas CheerLights Button
In this Instructable we will connect CheerLights to a button on your smartphone.
CheerLights is an Internet of Things (IOT) project which allows Christmas lights across the world to synchronize to one color set by Twitter. For example, tweeting "@Cheerlights Red" changes lights connected to the CheerLights project to go red. Tweeting out "#Cheerlights Red" will also alter the color.
For an easier way of changing CheerLights color, we will create a smartphone virtual button. A simple button press will automate the required information Twitter needs to change the CheerLights color.
Step 1: Step 1: Create a Twitter Account
You'll need a free Twitter account.
Step 2: Step 2: Download DO Button by IFTTT
Step 3: Step 3: Open DO by IFTTT & Create Account
Open DO by IFTTT.
If you already have an IFTTT Account, select "Sign In" enter your email & password.
If you do not have an IFTTT Account, enter your email & password & select "Create Account".
Step 4: Step 4: Set Up DO
After you have logged into DO by IFTTT, we'll setup the app. Use above collages as a setup guide, starting with the top left picture and going across to the right. I used an iPhone for this setup.
- Open DO by IFTTT
- Select the mortar & pestle icon
- In My Recipes select +
- In Add a Recipe, select the magnifying glass
- In Search Recipes, type in "Tweet" and select "Post a Tweet"
- In the What's Happening section, type "CheerLights Blue"
- Select the beaker icon & then "OccurredAt", then "Done"
- Select "Add"
Step 5: Step 5: Edit Recipe Name
The recipe we created has a default name of "Post a Tweet" which we are renaming to "Blue".
- Select mortar & pestle icon
- In My Recipes menu select recipe name, "Post a tweet"
- Change "Post a tweet" title to "Blue"
- Select Done
- Select Save
Step 6: Step 6: Test It Out
You have now renamed your button to Blue. Repeat this process to setup the remaining CheerLight colors:
- Once all colors are setup, I like to arrange them in alphabetical order from the "My Recipes" menu
- Once that's done, select the "DO" icon with the white Twitter Bird
- Scroll through your buttons and choose a color
- Press that button and about 15-20 seconds later, millions of Cheerlights change color! VOILA!
Step 7: Step 6: Test It Out
If you did everything correctly, this is what will happen!
Stay tuned for my next Instructable, where we'll make a CheerLights device!