Introduction: Mac & Cheese Assimilation by Shellfish
Resistance is futile my friends in this seafood variation of Marconi & Cheese perfect for summer! Chopped Artichoke Heart thrown in for good measure along with a combination of shellfish a dish even the Borg will find appetizing.
Step 1: Ingredients
The fact that humans by nature can't let some stuff go helps explain the endless popularity of Macaroni & Cheese. Going back even further is the role shellfish has played in the human experience. The measure of life and death in some cases boy do we love shellfish.
- 1 each 4 to 6 ounce Rock Lobster Tail (shelled, cooked and sliced)
- 2 each clusters Canadian Snow Crab Legs with Claw (shelled and chopped)
- 12 each ounces peeled and deveined 31/35 Count Shrimp
- 8 each ounces dried Barilla Elbow Macaroni Pasta (cooked and drained)
- 6 each ounces chopped Roland Artichoke Heart Quarters
- 2 each ounces Roland Diced Pimentos
- 10 each ounces Sargento Fine Shredded Cheddar & Jack Cheese Mix
- 2 each ounces Challenge Butter (salted or unsalted)
- 2 each ounces diced Red Onions1 each tablespoon minced Garlic
- 4 each tablespoons finely chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 each squeezed Lemon1 each teaspoon Paprika (garnish)
Step 2: Instructions
These steps happen quickly. For best results having the ingredients prepped ahead of time is a must. Cooking to blend is important throughout the process.
- Wash your hands with medium hot water and soap.
- In one large baking pan or two medium baking pans fill 1 inch of water and place in oven. Heat oven to 475 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Oven steam 1 each 4 to 6 ounce Rock Lobster Tail for 15 minutes and 2 each clusters CanadianSnow Crab Legs with Claw for 8 minutes.
- Slice Rock Lobster Tail first length wise in the middle then in 1/4 inch slices width wise set aside.
- Keep lobster shell for final plate.
- Shell the Snow Crab Legs to remove the meat and coarse chop set aside.
- Keep the two crab claws for final plate.
- In a medium sized skillet on medium high heat melt 1 ounce each Challenge Butterand
- add 1 each tablespoon minced Garlic and
- 1 each tablespoon finely chopped Fresh Parsley cook for 1 minute.
- Add 6 each ounces chopped Roland Artichoke Heart Quarters, 2 each ounces Roland Diced Pimentos and 2 each ounces diced Red Onions cook for 1 minutes.
- Add 12 each ounces peeled and deveined 31/35 Count Shrimp cook for 4 minutes.
- Squeeze 1/2 each Lemon
- and add 2 each tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley stir to blend.
- Add the portion of Rock Lobster Tail and Canadian Snow Crab cook for 2 minutes then turn off heat.
- In a separate large sized skillet on medium high heat add 1 ounce each Challenge Butter to melt.
- Add the cooked and drained Barilla Elbow Macaroni Pasta cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 5 each ounces Sargento Fine Shredded Cheddar & Jack Cheese Mix to pasta and stir to blend.
- Add the contents of the Shellfish & Artichoke mix to the Macaroni & Cheese and stir to blend cook for 2 minutes and turn off heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- In a baking pan add the blended Shellfish Artichoke Macaroni & Cheese contents.
- Top with 5 each ounces Sargento Fine Shredded Cheddar & Jack Cheese Mix and cover evenly to an inch from the edge of the pan.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees turn off oven and remove baking pan to cool.
- To make final plate design take the lobster shell open up to add desired amount of Shellfish Artichoke Macaroni and Cheese giving the effect of bursting out.
- Then place the two crab claws to give the design life. Garnish with parsley, lemon and Paprika.
Step 3: Stirring Method
Total cook time to this point is less then 10 minutes. Stirring to blend as a cooking method is a great way to buildup the colorful effect of this dish.
Step 4: Keep It Colorful
A signature of my plate or table design philosophy is to make each step look colorful and appetizing so in the end its just serve, eat and smile.
Step 5: Mix Macaroni, Cheese and Seafood
I like using a lot of butter in this recipe which helps add a true country flavor to the Macaroni. The above two steps are again quick. Once the Macaroni & Cheese are mixed together add the Shellfish & Artichoke Medley turn off heat and stir to blend.
Step 6: Time to Bake!
Important to spread the cheese mix evenly leaving an inch from the edge of the pan. When the cheese melts it will cover that space without crusting on the sides.
Step 7: Take Out of Oven
Wow! It really turned out as good as it looks. If you like more of a golden brown top feel free to cook longer.
Step 8: DONE!
The final plate design was fun using the lobster shell and crab claws. A life long fan of Star Trek there is little chance this creation will live long and prosper. But in the end its purpose was to be served to the collective or in this case the family.