Cheesy Beef Casserole (Serves 6)
* 3 lbs of meat (choose a cut of meat that does not have a lot of fat, like Sirloin tip, Rump / Sirloin Butt, tenderloin, fillet)
* 1 large scallion7 green onion
* 1 glass of milk
* 17 oz of cream (1/2 liter)
* lots of cheese! (Here in Argentina sells a bag of different cheeses strands, I add more parmesan cheese to that mix)
* a tablespoon of cream and a tablespoon of oil
* salt and pepper
First we have to defat all the meat and cut into small squares, the diameter of a bite.
In a pan add the tablespoon of butter and the tablespoon of oil and wait for the butter melt without burning. When the oil and butter are hot add the meat.
It will be a fast cooking, the meat should only take a gray or gold colour but inside it will be raw. This is to keep the juices from the meat inside the meat.
Cook in the pan (in batches: a portion of squares then other portion, etc) and leave in a container or a bowl the cooked pieces. Once all the meat is cooked let in the pan the mixture (oil + butter + gravy from the meat left of the cooking).
Chop the green onions into small slices and saute in the mix that was left in the pan. (if you want you can add some oil, but not too much or you will get a very oily dish).
When the onions are translucent and slightly golden, add the cream.
Add to the glass of milk a tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken the sauce. The milk must be cold or unpleasant lumps will be made. Then the milk to the warm cream.
I put into the empty cream container the milk and then I add the cornstarch to cold milk.
Add all the cheese. And remember more cheese, more tasty! Reduce the heat so the cheese melts but does not burn on the bottom.