This recipe was created by a family friend, a busy professional, taking gourmet classes in the evening. The homework assignment:
Create a recipe that uses off-the-shelf ingredients, straight from the packaging.And here it is, a recipe that uses ingredients straight from the package with almost no preparation. Resulting in a "kit - soup" that will take ~4 minutes of prep time and serve 4-6.
Perfect for busy, hungry people!
Step 1: Ingredients
- (3 tbsp) Olive Oil
- (1 tbsp) Chopped Garlic
- 50 fl-oz. can of Chicken Broth (~8 cups)
- 15 fl-oz. can of Chopped Stew Tomatoes ( ~21/2 cups)
- 10 oz. package of Chopped Frozen Spinach (~2 cups)
- (1 tsp) Basil
- 8 oz. package of Dry Cheese Tortellini (~11/2 cups)
- (1/4 cup) Grated Parmesan Cheese
Ingredients #'s 1,2,6 and 8 are only sold in units larger than necessary.
Step 2: Garlic Saute
- Put the oil#1 in a large soup pot on medium heat.
- Open the can of Chicken Stock#3, but leave aside for now.
- Add in the garlic#2 and saute until brown. This will happen fast, so take a precious extra minute to avoid burning the garlic.
- Quench! the saute by dumping the Chicken Stock#3 into the pot.
Step 3: Add Stocks
- Add the stew tomatoes#4.
- Add the spinach#5.
- Add the basil#6.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes. Avoid boiling off the soup.
Step 4: Toss in Tortellini
- Add the tortellini#7.
- Add the Parmesan cheese#8.
- Recover and simmer another 20-30 minutes, until the tortellini is finished (rehydrated).