Introduction: Cherry Pocket Pies
Do you like cherry pie? Do you hate how all the filling falls out after cutting the first slice? Do you have friends who don't like to share? Do you not like to share? If you answered "YES!" to any of the questions above, then this recipe is for you!
Step 1: Ingredients
• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
• 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water
• sugar for sprinkling
• cherry pie filling
Step 2: Making the Dough
1. Whisk the flour, salt and sugar together in a bowl. If using a stand mixer, use the bowl of the stand mixer.
2. Add the butter and beat on medium-low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal - about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes
3. Add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time on low speed. Beat for 20 seconds between each addition. The dough should hold together when squeezed with your fingers but should not be sticky. If the dough is crumbly, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time.
4. Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
Step 3: Making the Pies
5. Let the dough rest at room temperature for 5 minutes.
6. Preheat an oven to 400°F.
7. On a floured surface, roll out one of the dough balls until 1/8 inch thick.
8. Using a pocket pie mold, cut out the solid shapes. Repeat with the other dough ball. Reroll the excess dough, if necessary, and cut out more solid shapes.
9. Place one of the cut outs in the bottom half of the pie mold.
10. Fill the center of the pie with 1 to 2 tablespoons of cherry filling.
11. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash.
12. Place another cut out on top and press the top half of the mold down to seal the edges of the pie.
13. Take the pie out of the mold and place on a non-stick baking sheet. If the sheet is not non-stick, line it with parchment paper.
14. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
15. Using a paring knife, cut several slits in the crust.
16. Brush the top of the pies with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
17. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is gently bubbling, about 20-25 minutes. Transfer the pies to a wire rack and let cool for at least 15 minutes before eating.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.