Step 1: Ingredients
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
• 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water
• sugar for sprinkling
• cherry pie filling
Step 2: Making the Dough
2. Add the butter and beat on medium-low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal - about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes
3. Add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time on low speed. Beat for 20 seconds between each addition. The dough should hold together when squeezed with your fingers but should not be sticky. If the dough is crumbly, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time.
4. Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight.