Introduction: Chettinad Chicken Roast | Chettinad Chicken Fry
Chicken Chettinad roast or Chettinad Chicken fry is a classic Indian recipe, from the region of Chettinad* (Tamil Nadu, India) and is a very popular as a starter or side dish. It can be enjoyed standalone or with Roti, Chapati or Rice.
Step 1: Ingredients:
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Onions – 1 large sliced thinly
- Green Chillies – 3 slit
- Curry Leaves a handful
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tblspn
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1 tsp
- Chicken – 500 grams with bone
- Coriander Leaves – 3 tblspn finely chopped
For Chettinad Masala:
- Coriander Seeds / Malli – 3 tblspn
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli – 5 to 6
- Fennel Seeds / Saunf / Sombu – 1 tblspn
- Cinnamon / Pattai – 3 cm piece
- Kal paasi / Black Stone Flower – 2 piece
- Cardamom / Yelakai – 4
- Cloves / Krambu – 4
- Whole Pepper / Nala Milagu – 1 tsp
- Star Anise – 1
Step 2: Cooking
- For ingredients, please refer description.
- Take your chettinad spices, add them to a dry pan
- Dry roast for 2-3 mins on low medium flame till aroma start coming
- After 2-3 minutes or once aroma starts coming out, swtich off the flame.
- Take them in a blender and let them cool for a minute or two.
- Dry grind them into powder. After grinding keep it aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan/kadai on medium flame.
- Once heated, add in onions, curry leaves and slit green chilli.
- Saute till they start turning brown. To make it faster sprinkle very little salt.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and cook for 40-45 seconds or till raw smell goes away.
- Add salt and turmeric powder, mix it well.
- Add in chicken and coat well in masala.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat.
- Leave it to cook on low flame for 15-20 minutes.
- Now open the cover. If there is no water left then add in one glass of water and mix.
- Again cover the pan and leave it on low flame for 15-20 minutes.
- Open the cover.
- Check if pieces are tender. If not then cover it again for few more minutes. If needed add little water.
- Turn the flame to high and cook for a minute or till water is evaporated.
- Turn the flame to medium and add in Chettinad masala.
- Coat the chicken pieces well and let it cook for around 2-3 minutes or till oil seprates.
- Add in fresh coriander leaves. Mix well.
- After mixing it well, switch off the flame
Step 3: Serving
- Transfer it to serving dish.
- Sprinkle some lime juice over it and serve it along with lemon.
- You can enjoy it standalone as starter dish or you can have it as a side dish with Rice, Roit, Chapati or Rice.
- If you liked the recipe then please, LIKE SHARE SUBSCRIBE.
For easy Audio and Video instruction with subtitles please watch,