Introduction: Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies…a staple in the repertoire of any vegan baker’s kitchen. We all know that living on a vegan or plant-based diet is much healthier than the SAD (Standard American Diet), but every now and then, whether its due to a holiday or party or just a craving from a sweet-tooth, we must satisfy our desires. And these cookies will allow you to do just that. While not exactly “healthy”, I mean, I wouldn’t give these to your kid everyday for breakfast, but in comparison to many recipes out there, the overall sugar content in these vegan oatmeal raisin cookies is fairly low. When I look at some recipes and see 2 Cups or more of sugars and butters, etc…I cringe.
Now don’t get me wrong, these vegan oatmeal raisin cookies aren’t bland or lacking the touch of sweetness that we all want in our cookies, but they’re not gonna make your cavities throb either, lol. If you like these cookies, check out my how-to recipe for Vegan Double Chocolate Brownies.
Step 1: Ingredients:
Here is a list of what you'll need for this recipe:
For the Egg Replacer:
- 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds/Golden Flax Seeds Ground up into fine powder
- 2 Tbsp Water
For the Cookie Dough:
- 3/4 Cup Raisins
- 1/2 Cup Rum or Water
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil unrefined; melted
- 1/2 Cup Rice Bran Oil Can substitute with canola oil or light olive oil if needed
- 1 Cup Vegan Condensed Non-Dairy Milk Can substitute with 1 Cup vegan milk and increase sugar by 1/2 Cup
- 2 Tbsp Molasses
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 Cups Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 & 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
Step 2: For the Egg Replacer:
- In a small bowl, mix the flax/chia seed powder with the 2 Tbsp of water until combined. This should give a mixture with the consistency of egg white. Set aside while working on the next steps.
Step 3: For the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Place the raisins in a bowl and cover with rum or water. Microwave the raisin mixture for 1 minute and let them soak for approximately 10 minutes until plump. Drain and discard the excess liquid.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the sugar, melted coconut oil, rice bran oil, condensed vegan milk, Egg Replacer, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk until smooth
In a separate medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, all-purpose flour, and baking powder. Add the wet mixture to this the dry mixture and mix on a low speed for about 1 minute. This will develop some of the gluten binding from the flour which will increase the chewiness of the cookies. Mix in the raisins until just incorporated in the mix and allow the dough to sit for about 20 minutes so the oats can become hydrated.
Using two spoons, unless you WANT to get messy, scoop up the dough about 1 &1/2 inches in diameter and arrange them on the cookie sheet so they are spaced about 2 inches apart. Bake for 24-26 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through the baking time. The cookies are done when they reach a nice golden color.
These cookies will store in an airtight container at room temp for 1 week. They will keep in the freezer for 2 months. I dare to see them last half those amounts of time!