Introduction: Chibitronics Buzzing and Light Up Monster Treat Box
Items you will need:
- copper tape
- 30 gauge insulated wire
- Double Ended Alligator Clips Test Lead Jumper Wire (1)
- tweezers (1)
- buzzer (1)
- chibitronics (6)
- LEDs (2)
- double-sided foam tape
- electrical tape
- stir straws
- coin batteries (4)
- coin battery holders (2)
- plastic shot cups (3)
- colored foil or a pie tin
- Crafting items for face
Tools you will need:
- wire strippers/cutters
Step 1: Make the Box
- Print, cut and glue the box together.
- Use your imagination to make the monster face.
Step 2: Wire the Antennae
- Cut 30 gauge wire to length, strip the ends and twist around the LED leads. It is easiest to use two colors and remember which color you are using for the positive lead (the long one) and the negative lead (the short one).
- Cut a thin piece of double-stick foam tape, place between the wired LED leads, press firmly. Add a small bit of electrical tape, if needed.
- Now take a stir straw and slide the wires into it and very carefully slide it over the LED leads.
- Cut two small slits through the top of the box where you would like the antennae and slide the wires through to the inside of the box.
Step 3: Battery Holders and Feet
- Map out the placement of the battery holders and the feet before sticking everything down to make sure it all fits.
Use double-stick foam tape to place the batter holders on the bottom of the box.
- Make a small slit on the bottom of the box.
- Insert the red (positive) wires and one black (negative) wire of the battery holders through the slit into the box, leaving one black (negative) wire out.
- Glue the plastic shot glass cups in place, let dry.
Step 4: Buzzer and Mouth
- Stick the buzzer in the box with double-stick foam tape. Place the buzzer where you find it to work best.
- Create the mouth of the monster with the conductive foil by folding the foil around the ends of the box, making sure there is enough foil to get a good connection with the copper tape in the next step.
Step 5: Monster Wiring
- Follow the diagram for placement of copper tape. Make sure the copper tape firmly touches the foil.
- Add Chibitronics to the copper tape.
- Follow the diagram to wire the LED antannae and the buzzer.
- Depending on the size of LED you use, you may need to wire one battery pack directly to the LED antannae. Experiment and see what works best for your project.
- Use tape to secure wires.
Step 6: Finish
- Attach one end of the double ended alligator clips test lead jumper wire to the black (negative) wire that was left on the outside of the box.
- Attach the other end to the a pair of tweezers and use electrical tape to hold in place.
- Cut out a piece of square cardstock to dimensions of the bottom of the box with a hole for the buzzer, place on the bottom of the box to protect the wires from the candy.
- Turn the batteries on and have fun with it! You can also make a bigger version (see picture).
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.