Add twinkle to homemade fairy (or bug) wings with Chibitronics.
- foam board
- tissue paper
- plastic wrap
- white glue and water
- coin battery (4)
- Chibitronics twinkle circuit sticker (4)
- Chibitronics white LEDs (28)
- copper tape
- Coin battery holders (4)
- glitter (optional)
- foam brush
- paper shape punch (optional)
Step 1: Make the Paper
- Determine the size you would like to make your wings. This example just uses an 8.5 X 11 cardstock sheet for one wing. Cover the cardstock in plastic wrap, smooth it out and tape to keep it in place.
- Determine your color combinations of tissue paper, tear it up into irregular pieces around 2, 3 and 4 inches.
- Mix glue and water 1:1. Paint a thin layer of glue/water over the plastic to start with the foam brush. Layer the tissue pieces over the plastic covered cardstock. You will want around four layers. Sprinkle with glitter, if desired.
- Let dry completely and then peel the tissue creation off the plastic. It should peel off easily.
Step 2: Cut Out the Wings
- Draw on your wing shapes and use scissors to cut out.
Note: you may want to keep the scraps for later.
Step 3: All About That Foam Base
- Cut a 6" x 3" piece of foam board, this will the base to glue on the wings, the coin battery holders, the Chibitronics circuit effects sticker and ribbon attachment for tying on the wings.
- Glue the wing pieces on to one side of the base.
- Poke two holes in the top .5 " and the bottom .5", at each corner of the foam base. Cut two pieces of ribbon and feed the ribbon through these holes.
- If the wings don't completely cover the foam base, do something creative to cover it up!
Step 4: Build the Circuits
- This project uses this template for coin battery holders: http://simonetti.media.mit.edu/~jieqi/2012/01/pape... (see template)
- Tape the coin battery holders to the foam base at the bottom corners just above the ribbons.
- Press the copper tape from the battery holders on to the base, being mindful for placement of the - and the + portions of the Chibitronics circuit and the coin battery. Connect the signal pad of the circuit with the + copper line. Place the sticky Chibitronics circuit over the copper tape, press firmly in place.
- Use more copper tape to create the - and + circuit lines, slightly overlapping the beginning copper tape pieces from the battery holder. Be sure to keep the - and + lines close together, but never touching. Press down firmly. This is where glitter may become a problem (as if glitter could be a problem!), the sticky back of the copper tape and the Chibitronics LEDs become difficult to work with over the glitter.
- Place sticky Chibitronics LEDs along the two copper lines being mindful that the - and + ends of the LEDs match the corresponding - or + copper lead, staggering. Press down firmly.
Step 5: Extra Twinkles
- Repeat the same steps for another line of twinkles with a small variation. This variation will tell the LEDs to twinkle in an alternating pattern. The included PDF from Chibitronics will explain how to place the copper tape.
- Now you have three copper leads. Place the Chibitronics LEDs along either side of the copper leads, staggering. Press firmly in place.
Step 6: The Other Wing...
- Repeat the circuit building process for the opposite wing. However, build the circuit opposite of the first wing to add more twinkle variation.
- Use the ribbon ties to wear the fairy wings by tying over and under the shoulder with a bow in the front.