Why... a delicious new Italian-style Nachos Appetizer, of course! Cross-my-heart, I promise, you will not be disappointed!
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- Jumbo Pasta Shells- 12-20 depending on the appetites
- Oil for frying- approx. 2 cups
- Alfredo Sauce- 1 1/2 cups
- Seasoned, cooked chicken (diced or shredded)- 2 cups
- Italian Cheese (Mozzarella or Provolone)- 1- 2 cups shredded.
- Parmesan Cheese- 1/4 cup grated
- Italian Spice Blend
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Garlic Pepper Seasoning
Drain the shells quickly, then move them to a sheet of foil to air dry.
When cool enough to handle, cut the shells in half from top to bottom. The resulting scoop shape holds the sauce perfectly!
Heat a med/large saucepan with 2" of vegetable or canola oil over medium-high (to high) heat.
Double-check the pasta shells to make sure all of the excess water has been absorbed or has evaporated.
Fry the pasta shells in small batches until they are a rich golden color. (Take a few minutes and experiment with a couple of shells to determine the right temperature and cooking time. Under-cooked shells will be chewy and over-cooked shells will be too crunchy... but perfectly cooked shells will be crispy, lightly crunchy and just right!)
Drain on the fried shells on paper towels. Salt to taste.
Preheat Broiler to 500 degrees.
In a small saucepan, heat the Alfredo sauce until bubbly.
Layer your Chicken Alfredo Nachos in this order:
- Arrange the pasta chips (scoop-side-up) on a baking sheet.
- Spoon the hot Alfredo sauce over the pasta chips.
- Evenly scatter the chicken pieces over the sauced pasta chips.
- Generously sprinkle the Italian cheese (Mozz. or Prov.) over the chicken.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with grated Parmesan, then dust with garlic pepper seasoning and red pepper flakes to taste.
Using a spatula, transfer the piping hot Chicken Alfredo Nachos to a serving bowl... and enjoy!
P.S. Diced fresh tomatoes would taste GREAT on these nachos, along with frugal scattering of capers, perhaps? Just experiment and have fun!