Introduction: Chicken Soup From Scratch
With the cooler weather approaching/hit/always there, there is an increase in indoor living. With the indoor living comes increased chances of COLDS!
Here's a simple from scratch made chicken soup recipe that anyone can make, and all can enjoy!
Step 1: Ingredients - Soup Stock
Most of these ingredients are already in your house - or can be obtained very quickly at any grocery store:
- Pack of chicken thighs (can use any part, but I prefer the thighs for flavor)
- Rosemary (whole is what I use)
- Dried Parsley
Step 2: Preparing Soup Stock
In a large soup stock pot, combine:
- Chicken thighs (Take the skin off to reduce the amount of fat you want to remove later on)
- Carrots (Cut in half)
- Onions (Cut into Rings)
- Celery (Cut in half)
- Liberal amounts of rosemary and Parsley
- About 9 cups of water.
Bring to boil about medium High Heat, then once boiling turn to medium low, and let it all do it's thing for about 2 hours covered.
(If you wish to have a more intense flavor, boil uncovered for an additional 30 minutes)
Once good to go, take out the chicken. Remove the bones and cartilage, and shred the rest. Set this aside for later.
Strain out the remainder of the food, so you're left with just the liquid. I usually place into a bowl, and into the freezer for about an hour, so I can skim off the fat, but this is only a matter of personal preference .
Step 3: Soup Ingredients
Now that you have your stock made, it's time to get on with your soup!
Here's what we're going to need:
- Carrots (About 3 medium, cut into coins)
- Celery (About 3 ribs, cut into thin slices)
- Fresh Parsley (About half a bunch, leaves only)
- Chicken (From stock)
- Thick Noodles (1 Portion, broken length-wise in quarters)
Step 4: Soup Preparation
Now that you have everything setup, it's as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5!
1. Bring your stock up to boil on medium high.
2. Add your chicken and noodles. Let cook for 5 minutes.
3. Taste stock, adding salt and pepper to your liking, and add veggies.
4. Bring back up to boil, then turn down to medium low. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
5. Pour, slurp and enjoy!
That's all there is to it!
For those ladies and gents out there that don't think they can cook, if you can boil water.... You can do this!!
Enjoy, and many happy bowls to you!!