Introduction: Chicken and Bacon Carbonara - Gluten Free
Cheesy carbs! What more can I say! However if you have a gluten allergy or celiac disease, cheesy carbs can turn into a disaster for your belly really fast. Fortunately, Barilla makes some good gluten free pasta. Unfortunately, it is still hard to find a cheese sauce recipe that doesn't use flour as a thickening agent in the sauce. Carbonara sauce is a great and almost tastier alternative to traditional alfredo sauce. The main sauce ingredients include eggs, cheese, and milk. No gluten here but all the wonderful taste!
Step 1: Ingredients and Tools
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 box of gluten free spaghetti noodles
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 Tablespoon diced garlic
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- Ground pepper to taste
- Large frying pan or wok
- Cutting board
- Medium-large size mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil
- Colander or strainer
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
Step 2: Chop Chop Chop
Prepare your veggies
- Slice your 1/2 cup of tomatoes.
- Dice your 1/4 cup bell peppers.
- Place them on a greased foil covered baking sheet.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven on broil making sure to monitor them.
- Dice your 1/4 cup of onion and set aside.
Prepare your meat
- Cut your bacon into thin strips about 1/4 x 1/2" and set aside.
- Cube your chicken breasts and set aside.
After your tomatoes and red peppers have a nice roasted coating, remove them from the oven and set aside.
Step 3: Start Cooking
- Pan fry your bacon on medium heat until crispy. Using a slotted or mesh spoon, remove the cooked bacon and set aside leaving the bacon grease.
- Cook the garlic and onion in the remaining grease on low-medium heat.
- After the onion has begun to get a little caramelized add the cubed chicken to the pan and fry on medium-high heat until the chicken starts to brown on the outside.
- Turn heat to the lowest setting and return bacon to the pan.
- Remove tomatoes and peppers from the baking sheet and mix in with the chicken.
Step 4: Start Noodles and Sauce
- Fill a pot with water and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and bring to a boil on high heat.
- While waiting for water to boil, put your two whole eggs and two egg yolks in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Once water boils put your gluten free noodles in the pot and cook by following the package instructions.
- Strain noodles but reserve some of the pasta water.
- Slowly pour noodles into the egg mixture while stirring them together quickly. This is a very important step. You need to mix them together quickly to help prevent the egg mixture from becoming cooked scrambled eggs from the hot noodles.
- After the noodles and eggs have been mixed, stir in a 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water.
Step 5: Combine Pasta Mixture With Meat and Add Cheese
- Quickly transfer the noodle mixture to the pan of chicken and stir together.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of milk and turn up the heat to medium-high.
- Stir in your shredded parmesan cheese.
- Continue to mix until the cheese begins to melt and the mixture become creamy.
Step 6: Enjoy Your Delicious Meal!
You can still enjoy a delicious pasta meal without any gluten! Give it a try!