Step 7: Bonus Recipe- Chicken Stock
Discarded chicken bones and pieces
2 carrots-peeled, rinsed, and cut into long strips
3 potatoes- peeled, rinsed, and quartered
2 celery stocks- rinsed and cut to fit inside pot
1 large onion- peeled and sliced
2 tsp. peppercorns
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 head garlic, unpeeled and cut in 1/2 crosswise
*any other desired seasonings like fresh parsley, thyme, or dill
1. Place discarded chicken bones into a large stock pot and cover with water.
2. Add vegetables and seasonings and bring to a boil.
3. Once the mixture is boiling reduce heat and simmer about 2 hours uncovered.
4. Remove from heat and strain using a sieve or colander over another large pot. Cover and refrigerator overnight.
5. The next day use sieve to strain off fat that has risen to the surface.
6. Use immediately or store in airtight container for up to 3 months in the freezer.
*To thaw place in the fridge 24 hours before use or, if frozen in glass, microwave on defrost until thawed.