The base is chili that my dad made, I used cheddar cheese, and it's topped with sliced hot dogs and onions. This turned out really good.
Step 1: Ingredients and Supplies
- Hot Dogs - preferably grilled (for flavor), but since hot dogs are pre-cooked, you could use them straight from the package. I used about 2½
- Pizza Dough
- Cheddar Cheese (about 1 cup)
- Corn Meal and/or pan spray
- Chili (maybe around 1 cup)
- Onions (not pictured)
- Any other chili-dog-type toppings you'd like to add!
- Pizza Pan (or you could use a pizza stone)
- Pizza Cutter
- Cutting Board
- Grill (optional)
- Grilling Utensils (optional)
- Spoon for spreading chili (not pictured)
Step 2: Prep the Dough
- First, spray the pan with pan spray and sprinkle on some corn meal.
- Then stretch out the dough in your hands (I just do it in the air - let it hang until it's wide enough for the pan). I wish I knew how to spin it around ;)
- Put the dough in the pan and spread it to the edges.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 3: Grill the Hot Dogs
Slice the hot dogs into 1/4" - 1/2" thick pieces. I wound up using about 2.5 hot dogs. That was about perfect for 1 piece in each 1-2 bites of pizza. You could do more or less to taste.
Heat up the chili if you want. Mine was frozen so I had to heat it. If it's fully cooked and not too cold, you could probably skip heating it. If it was in the fridge, I'd probably heat it a little.
Step 4: Put It All Together
- Make sure the dough is still stretched out to the edges. Poke holes in the dough with your nails. (this prevents crazy bubbles but still allows for some little ones)
- Spread the chili out on the pizza. I tried to get some meat in each bite. I wound up using somewhere around 1 cup, maybe a little more.
- Sprinkle on the cheese. I always do about 1 cup when I make a pizza.
- Sprinkle on onions and any other extra toppings you're adding.
- Evenly space out the hot dog slices on the pizza. Mine have about 1 slice worth of space between them (or that's at least what I was going for). This turned out pretty good but you can tweak it to your taste.
Step 5: Bake the Pizza
Bake the pizza for about 15-20 minutes. Normally when I make pizza, it takes about 20 minutes but it was faster this time. I think it was because the hot dogs and chili were warm to begin with. Turn the pizza 1/2 way through cooking to ensure even baking.
Once the crust is golden brown and the cheese is nice and melty, take it out of the oven and cut into slices. The hot dogs started to brown/burn on the top, but they were tasty.